Junior Front End Developer – – TECHdotMN

Select Page
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Junior Front End Developer position within the department of Marketing, Insights, and Communications.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. Our convictions of dignity, diversity and personal attention call us to embody and champion a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment.  We welcome applicants of diverse races, ethnicities, geographic origins, gender identities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, religions, work experience, physical and intellectual abilities, and financial means. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission: Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely to advance the common good.  A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
Under the direction of the Front-End Development Manager, the Junior Front End Developer helps support the codebase and ongoing front-end development of the University’s 10+ websites. This person will assist in coding the interface and Front-End functionality of the University’s websites, building new modules and capabilities, while also maintaining and improving existing features. The development work is done in our web content management systems, using an existing codebase, and involves connecting the web components to APIs and other back-end elements to build new pages or modules, while also improving existing functionality and usability to make the sites easier to use for site visitors, including those with disabilities. There is also limited development and support needed for a handful of WordPress sites. The Junior Front End Developer will assist in the development work for new functionality, fix identified bugs, and observe/investigate/look for ways to improve the site in less tangible ways.
This entry-level position is expected to communicate effectively with both developers and non-developers by using email, chat, and in-person conversation to ask questions, explain a situation, and provide updates, using technical or non-technical terms depending on who is involved. In addition, this person will be expected to: gather requirements and act on them, solve problems, and continually improve their skills.
The Junior Front End Developer will be coached in transforming complex processes into easy-to-use mobile/web designs, recognizing the differing needs of a range of (known) users. This individual should be familiar with current and evolving best practices in UI/UX, accessibility, and front-end development.
This position reports to the Web Development Manager within the Marketing, Insights, and Communications (MIC) 7-person web team and works closely with the Analytics team within MIC, as well as a handful of Back-End Developers within the Information Technology department. (See the web department chart at the end of the job description for additional detail.) At times, as part of a planned project or fixing bugs, this person will work directly with Marketing managers and people from other University departments to clarify requirements, answer questions, or execute on requests.
The developers meet daily for 15-20 minutes, the larger web team meets weekly, and everyone has weekly meetings with their manager. Each person on the web team has clear responsibilities; about 70% of the development work is done on an individual basis, with the other 30% of the work done in collaboration with others. The environment is fast paced yet supportive and offers opportunities to learn and grow via collaboration, mentoring, training, and job growth.
Minimum Qualifications
Preferred Qualifications
All interested candidates must apply online at Follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes creating or updating an applicant profile, uploading a resume, and completing a job specific application.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest news, job alerts, and more.

Dive deeper with member-only content, VIP Events, and Supercharged Networking.

Sign Up
Minnesota’s technology news with an emphasis on startups and entrepreneurship.


Sign up for the latest news, job alerts, and much more.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *